Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Six Little Words You Never Want to Hear

Today I realized there are six little words you never want to hear uttered in your home. Now, individually these words (with the exception of maybe one) are harmless. Several of them could even be used in the same sentence without cause for alarm. But, trust me, you never want to hear them in the same sentence.

This morning at 6:45 a.m. we began our regular morning routine which begins with me getting up and making sure that Jarrod and Jacob are both up. They were so I laid down on the couch. Jarrod had gone downstairs to "iron" his clothes (aka run them in the dryer). He came back up and that's when I heard those six words come tumbling from his mouth......."There's a snake in the house." Chills of fear and disbelief ran down my spine.

Apparently, there was a snake lying in the hallway when Jarrod went downstairs. He said he nearly stepped on it but then ran around it and got his clothes. Of course, my brilliant 13 year old son did not attempt to capture the snake and even worse he let it get away. He didn't even see which way it went.

I went to the barn and got my hoe and went downstairs to investigate but soon realized the futility of the search. Those of you who have seen my basement understand this. There is stuff everywhere and a lot of ground to cover. This snake could be anywhere. I tried to get Darren to help me look but he wasn't much force. I'm pretty sure he is scared. He suggested that I let the dog in to trail the snake to which I replied, "What am I supposed to do? Give Socks the snake's shirt to sniff and say 'now go find him, boy.'" I did however try to get Socks to come in. Usually he is trying to get in the door every time you open it but today I had to force him in the basement and he promptly ran up the basement steps and went to the back door. So much for that idea.

I've set some sticky glue traps all over the basement but I guess for now we will just cohabitate with Slinky the snake as we've named him. Does anyone know if snakes can climb steps?

2 comments:

Jen said...

Through extensive research, it appears snakes CAN climb stairs. I hate to hear such a disgusting and scary story. I would invite all cats into your house or evacuate! I could NOT sleep due to a huge fear of those things.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jen. Until slinky leaves, you need to find a new home. Cause, if snakes can climb stairs, they can climb up in beds too. Too bad John's grandma is not still alive, cause grandma + a hoe = dead snake (in about a million pieces). and I don't know if Terminex covers snakes. Good luck.

Deena