Friday, October 26, 2007

So embarassing

I shared this story with the girls at work and they got a kick out of it so I thought the rest of you might enjoy it as well.....

Last Saturday Darren, Jarrod, Noah and I went to Morehead to eat at La Finca for my big birthday celebration. As everyone knows, it is a crime in the state of Kentucky to drive past a Wal-Mart without stopping so we ran in to pick up a few odds and ends. We made our selections..nothing fancy...just diapers and wipes, ink for my fax machine and a few other toiletries and proceeded to the checkout. Darren decided to go on out to the van while the boys and I checked out. I paid for our purchases and we started out the door and set off the alarm. The nice little greeter lady came over and determined that the box of ink had not been deactivated by the cashier so she gave us a free 2 liter bottle of pop and sent us on our way.

We were walking through the parking lot and came to the van. I could see Darren sitting in the front seat so I assumed he had the tailgate unlocked and ready for me but when I lifted the handle it was locked so I pecked on the back window and tried again....still locked. I knocked a little harder and still he didn't unlock it so I knocked again and still nothing. By this time I was getting a little aggravated. I looked at Jarrod and said, "Why isn't he unlocking the door?" and then I BANGED on the back window with my open hand. Darren popped upright in the seat just as Jarrod started toward the driver's side door. He stopped short and said, "Mom, that's not Dad." and took off. I looked around and sure enough OUR van was parked on down the way just a little. I went around to the drivers side door and this guy opened the door and stepped out. I was already opening my mouth to apologize when I recognized the fellow. It just so happens he is a long-time tax client. I laughed and told him that I was sorry and that I had mistaken his van for ours. He accused me of catching him asleep and waking him on purpose and we had a good laugh.

At first I was glad it was someone I knew but now I'm not so sure. I'm sure I'll get a ribbing from him everytime I see him now. It might have been better had it been someone I'll never see again.

I know some of you will be quick to chalk my mistake up to old age but in my defense his van was the same year, make model and color as ours so maybe I shouldn't feel so bad....but it was just SO embarassing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! I got a good laugh also.
Love ya Sarah