Monday, June 16, 2008

Near Disaster

Saturday started out as a normal enough day but soon things went very, very wrong. I went to my laptop to check my email and noted that it was acting a little strange so I decided to restart it. No big deal, right? Well, that's what I thought, too, but boy was I wrong. It restarted and then proceeded to log off. So I tried again. Same thing. And again, and again, and again.....Nothing worked. I was just about to cry and became literally sick to my stomach. You see, I had 5 years of tax returns for about 250 clients stored on my laptop and payroll records for two companies. Now, I know it's not smart, but I had no backup of these things. The tax stuff was bad but I at least had paper copies and could have rebuilt them if necessary (although I certainly wouldn't want to if I didn't have to), but the payroll was nowhere else and I had no way to even rebuild it. All I could think was what was I going to do when it came time to file quarterly payroll reports in July.

Fortunately my somewhat tech savvy husband remembered that he had some type of apparatus that I could use to hook my laptop hard drive to another computer so I could copy things off of it. So the plan was that I would take my hard drive out of my laptop, hook it to Jarrod's computer and transfer the things I needed off of mine onto his and then reformat my laptop hard drive and start fresh. Sounds fairly simple but it was far from it. We fiddled and fooled and finally (after a couple of hours) got Jarrod's computer to recognize my hard drive and then I began the transfer process. About an hour later Jarrod came in and asked if I shut his computer off. Of course, I hadn't. As unbelievable as it may sound, his computer had died. It wouldn't do anything. Fortunately it was only the power supply and we had an extra so Darren was able to get it back up and running yesterday. I reformatted today and am now back up and running.

I'm starting the tedious process of getting things reinstalled but so far I've got my payroll files back so I can deal with the rest if I have to. I'd like to say that I've learned my lesson and will do regular backups in the future, and I am going to try, but I know from past experience that it'll probably be short lived. Oh well, at least all is well for now.

No comments: